Act like a girl. Be persistent! Stand your ground! Be a badass!
Yesterday was International Day of the Girl. I adore this sculpture and think it represents the day perfectly. She is absolutely a badass in the making.
I’ve also recently seen a quote on Facebook about the challenge of raising willful children without breaking their spirits. Do that and you raise an adult with attitude who can take on the world.
How little girls are parented has changed drastically since I was a child. Having been a girl myself, I can see the difference. And having been a willful child, I’m thankful my parents didn’t break my spirit. I am free to be my badass self!
However, no matter how far we have come, here are some very sobering statistics on the plight of girls in our world:
- Globally, women and girls make up 2/3 of the illiterate population. Girls are half as likely as boys to finish elementary school.
- Women make up 2/3 of the 1.4 billion living in extreme poverty.
- In developing countries 1/3 of girls marry before the age of 18, where pregnancy and childbirth complications is the leading cause of death in 15-19 year-olds.
- 2 million children are exploited every year in the global commercial sex trade and 96% of them are female.
- Nationally, 1 in 5 women have been the victim of attempted or completed rape in their lifetime and nearly 1 in 2 women has experienced sexual violence other than rape.
- Domestic violence makes up 20% of nonfatal violent crime against women in the U.S.
How hard it would be to ever grow into your badass self while coming from extreme poverty, with little education and being unable to read, married and pregnant at 15 or sexually abused. Clearly our girls deserve better.
How great would our world be if all of us were free to be our badass selves like that little girl in the sculpture!
All the best,