Fall Remodeling? July planning = December completion
Are you starting a remodeling project this fall hoping to be finished before the holidays? All the planning and preparation can take much longer than you think. If you wait until after the kids go back to school before starting the process, most likely your interior designer and contractor are going to tell you they can’t start your project until after January 1 of the next year. Fall is the busiest time of year for home remodeling and designers and contractors book up early. To avoid this scenario, plan to call your designer in JULY!
Here’s a look at a typical schedule:
- PLANNING 2-4 weeks – Developing the look you want, designing the space, creating floor plans and revising floor plans until everything is perfect requires lots of input from the client and work by our design team.
- INTERVIEWING CONTRACTORS 2-3 weeks – Once you have a design plan, that will need to be given to your contractor for them to give you an accurate bid. If you don’t have a preferred contractor you will need to interview potential contractors and then get multiple bids. (This can be done at the same time we are starting to source the products).
- SOURCING PRODUCTS 2-4 weeks – Once the plan is perfected the next step is deciding on all the products to use. Your designer will research available options, then set a time to present to you. Depending on the size of the project and the number of items needed, this can be a lengthy process.
- PURCHASING PRODUCTS 4-8 weeks – Once you’ve decided on all the products, they need to be ordered. Kitchen cabinets can take 6-8 weeks, custom upholstered furniture can be longer than that. It is preferable for all building products (anything that needs to be installed) to have arrived BEFORE the project demolition starts.
- CONSTRUCTION 3-8 weeks – Only after we have completed the first 4 steps can the construction start. The length of time for construction depends on the scope of the project.
- THE BIG REVEAL 1-3 days – Once the construction is complete we will bring in all the pieces that aren’t installed, place them in your house, help with arranging and accessories and all other last-minute details.
Now that you understand all the upfront planning get out your phone because it is already the last half of July! Call us now so we can get started before you go on vacation. Then while you’re at the beach, we’ll be working.
All the best, Marcia